LAP-BAND® surgery for central and southern California
LAP-BAND® surgery is a safe, modern alternative to gastric bypass surgery that has been approved by the FDA since 2001. Board-certified surgeon Dr. David Thoman has performed over 1,000 weight loss procedures using the LAP-BAND. Patients from Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Fresno, Bakersfield and Los Angeles are invited to our practice to learn more about the single-incision, virtually scarless approach to LAP-BAND surgery.
How it works
The LAP-BAND is an adjustable silicone band that is inserted laparoscopically and placed around the top of the stomach to create a small, golf-ball sized pouch. Patients lose weight because they feel full faster and can only eat a small amount of food at one time.
With LAP-BAND surgery the stomach is not surgically altered as in gastric bypass surgery, so the procedure is reversible. Dr. Thoman is the first Central Coast surgeon to offer the LAP-BAND as a single-incision surgery, performed completely through an incision placed in the belly button.
Rapidly increasing in popularity since its approval, LAP-BAND weight loss surgery in Santa Barbara, California offers patients many advantages including:
- Hospital stays are usually not required as this surgery is typically performed as an outpatient procedure.
- Patients enjoy a quicker recovery and reduced risk of serious complications than with gastric bypass surgery.
- Alterations are completely reversible.
- Weight loss 2-3 years after surgery can average 50-60% of excess weight and is usually maintained.
- Certain obesity-related health conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heartburn, back pain, sleep apnea, and migraines are often resolved or improved.
Request Appointment Link
Risks and complications
When you meet with Dr. Thoman at your consultation he will thoroughly review your health history and discuss the risks and complications associated with LAP-BAND surgery, including:
- Slippage of the band down the stomach (5%)
- Erosion of the band into the stomach (1%)
Most patients begin losing weight immediately after LAP-BAND surgery. Although more gradual than with gastric bypass surgery, weight loss following LAP-BAND surgery can continue for years with periodic band adjustments.
With a personal commitment to a healthy lifestyle and readily available support, our patients are consistently thrilled with the sustained weight loss they are able to achieve through LAP-BAND weight loss surgery in Santa Barbara, California. Allow Dr. Thoman to help you get your life back through increased health and an improved self-image.